top of page

Fosters must provide love and patience for adult, baby, or sick animals. 

Volunteer fosters should be able to do the following:

  • Give general care

  • Medicate if necessary

  • Take animal for vet care (animal needs to be brought into the shelter)

  • Socialize shy or feral animals if needed

  • Isolate the animal in a room separate from all other animals if needed

  • Make sure their own animals are up-to-date on their vaccinations (Distemper, Parvo, Bordetella, Rabies) and either spayed or neutered

  • Accept that the foster animal may not be put up for adoption if deemed unadoptable by the Kearney Area Animal Shelter (fatal illness/disease or dangerous aggression)


Fostering is vital to our mission!  Your work makes young, shy, or ill animals adoptable.  Their adoption then allows KAAS to take in additional animals. Fosters are needed for kittens with ringworm, bottle baby kittens, and nervous dogs that do better in a home than a kennel. The shelter covers all expenses of fostering, the animals just need your time and love!

All potential fosters must be approved and 21 years of age or older, allow a home visit, and attend a mandatory volunteer orientation class. Click the button below to fill out the Foster Care Program Application and bring the completed application into KAAS or submit the completed application via email to



bottom of page